Cyber memos for my personal knowledge.

2008-10-01

Confusing hard disk device in Debian 4.0 R4a

This is weird..= =|||

I have installed Etchnhalf many times but the HDD device file changed every time?!
Maybe this time it is /dev/hdc in istallation process, but it will be changed to /dev/sda after installation done.
Then I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot, it may be changed back to /dev/hdc or more worse /dev/hda..
I think this is related to kernel driver of ide-generic and SATA.
Maybe they are fighting to each other for controling my IDE channel...:-(

And one more weird thing is that the kernel parameter "quiet".
Basically, there will be a parameter "quiet" added in the end of kernel boot command line in modern Linux distro.
I don't like this parameter because I totally can not monitor my Linux box if it displayed some error message when booting up.

In this case I shut "the quiet" down so that I can:
1. To see error messages of the HDD device file changed.
2. To fix the ide port error when GRUB wants to load kernel up (Fucking weird! WHY??????).
Why this error is related to kernel boot parameter "quiet"??????

No comments: