Cyber memos for my personal knowledge.

2008-10-01

Confusing hard disk device in Debian 4.0 R4a - continued

My Debian 4.0 R4a box has another problem that, after installation of the system the resume device was changed!! Normally it was the swap file system, and it will be defined during the installation process and wrote into initramfs (/boot/initrd-img-xxx).

I think the installer of Etchnhalf is really buggy!
He recognized my hdd and odd as:
/dev/hde -> hdd
/dev/hde1 -> 1st partition, boot
/dev/hde2 -> logical
/dev/hde5 -> swap
/dev/hdg -> odd

And he wrote it into /boot/grub/menu.lst for kernel boot parameter as root=/dev/hde1. Of course the resume device in initrd-img will be /dev/hde5, the swap.

OK, now I complete installation process and reboot my Debian 4.0 R4a box. Guess what!?

I can not boot into system because the stupid installer makes a WRONG device recognation!...:-(
And now the boot device and root file system can not be found and mounted........

The actual device map of my box should be:
/dev/hdc -> hdd
/dev/hdc1 -> 1st partition, boot
/dev/hdc2 -> logical
/dev/hdc5 -> swap
/dev/hde -> odd

Now, I need to modify my /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab to correct this stupid problem which was caused by Debian installer.
And I need to issue command $ dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp to re-generate the /boot/initrd-img-xxx........:-(

No comments: