Cyber memos for my personal knowledge.

2008-09-07

Ghost 11.5 little problem

Oops!
I found that using Ghost 11.5 -id to clone Linux system, partiton table may be modified in some special situations.

I got my Linux partiton table as follows:
/dev/sda1, boot flag, ID 83, Linux native
/dev/sda3, ID 82, Linux Swap

But after Ghost cloning it became to:
/dev/sda1, boot flag, ID 83, Linux native
/dev/sda2, ID 82, Linux Swap

It caused Linux can not enter S4 (hibernation) status because Linux doesn't know where is the swap file system!

I use a very stupid way to fix it: re-write MBR!
Since this problem was happened in factory production line and, any action to boot into OS to fix partition table is not allowed :-(

Simply prepare a small tool called "MBRUtilD.exe" to save / restore MBR section.
I use it to create a workable MBR w/ partiton table, and then use tftp (via PXE) to transfer to clients for restoring.

"MBRUtilD.exe /R=(MBR file name)" to restore MBR.
And option "/S=
(MBR file name)" to save MBR.
Just run it right after Ghost cloning.

It rocks of course! ;-)

No comments: