Cyber memos for my personal knowledge.

2008-12-19

RealPlayer 11 on Linux

I try to install RealPlayer 11 on my DELL Vostro 1310 with Mandriva 2008.1, kernel 2.6.24.7-desktop. All things are fine. why this player? Hmm......somtimes I feel the .RM files are really pains in my ass and I don't have time to search for other codec or player for it. So..you know that...;-)

Download RealPlayer here. You can choose .BIN format (personally recommand) or even RPM/DEB package if you want.

Just cd to where you put the file and issue commands with root permission:
(optional step) $ chmod a+x RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
$ ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin

Follow on-screen instruction to answer some questions. Use the default installation path is ok on my system (/opt/Real/RealPlayer).

Note that the RealPlayer is not able to start with zh_* locales so that I have worte a simple script to change my $LANGUAGE dynamically to en_US.UTF-8 (or en_US*) to launch it...;-)

No comments: